Personal Note

My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From your thoughts, you can create greatness.

This is what I need to remind myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create. Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgemental, love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are love.



Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Give a little Thanks, Share a bit of Gratitude...


 



Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I hope this Holiday finds you all safe and sound. In honor of the Thankful season, this post is about just that...being Thankful for what we have.

I spent many years aspiring for 'more' and feeling like I didn't have enough. I am so grateful that I made the changes that I did so that I can now be at peace with what I have, and that is so comforting. Now my husband and I can look to the future with relaxed hope, but we don't let 'want' overwhelm us. We are content with our lives but never stop dreaming of what we still want to accomplish. We just don't let the future overshadow our Now.

I was at work the other night and I was thinking of how I used to get so frustrated there. Then I smiled at the thought of how much I've changed because I don't really get that way anymore. I just go with the flow, and since I'm grateful for even having a job in the first place, I stay grounded in that realization that I need to stay with that "gratitude-attitude", not just at work, but in everyday life, as well.

What helps me with this at work is keeping my mind still and taking each instance as it comes, and trying to do so without judgement. If you stay calm, and keep your mind in your work, and not in unrelated things, you won't get aggravated when work arises and you have to tear your attention away from what you want to think about that is other than the work at hand. (I can speak 'professionally' about this. This was what I used to do on a daily basis, mostly to escape where I was and what I was doing. I used it to make my present moment a means to an end.)
If you stay in the Now and focus your energy on what you are doing, you will do it to the best of your ability. You might even start to enjoy it, or at least the freedom from the resentment you cause yourself by wishing you were in some other place doing some other thing. "What does this have to do with being Thankful?" you may ask. Well, when you practice this, it will become second nature, and you will be grateful for the renewed lease on life and change in attitude you will have giving you a more peaceful calm demeanor. It did for me, at least. And that helped me to remember to be present, and to be aware enough to be grateful for something each day.

You don't have to start B-I-G to start to be grateful. It's probably best for you to start small. As with anything, slow and steady wins the race. You've heard that if you make little changes in your fitness and diet plan, you will be more successful than if you go gung-ho and full force at the gym and cut all your carbs. Don't set yourself up to fail. Start where you know you will stick with it. Some start a gratitude journal. If this sounds great to you, but you know you will only do good for the first few days or even weeks, but know you will tire of it and quit, don't do it that way. Just start small.

I have a mission statement at the top of this blog that states "Live your life with gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create." I think if you just feel grateful for something as often as you can, you will be forming a habit that will serve you probably better than any other habit ever could. If you think writing it down helps, try and make a practice of it right before bed. Jot down all that you can remember that you were grateful for throughout the day. This will help you to remember good things about your day, and you won't be dwelling on all of the negative that may have happened.  Not to mention the good nights sleep you will be setting yourself up for. It's sort of a bed time meditation, if you will. Or, if you are a morning person, take time while you are having your coffee or tea and waking up to jot down what you are grateful for and this will help to put a positive spin on your day to come. Or, if you're feeling ambitious, you could do both! Whatever makes you happy.

There is no right or wrong way to do any of this. It's your life. You are the creator of it. You have all the power, you just have to realize it. Take a moment right now to think on situations that made you miserable. What was your attitude like? Now, how about when you were so very happy? What did you feel then? Which do you prefer? You can choose. I've said this before based on something I read by Eckhart Tolle: it's not what happens to us that harms us, it's our reaction to it that does.

Living with gratitude is a step in the direction to taking control of your life. Making yourself the boss of you. You take the power away from individuals that should not have power over you simply by changing your vibrations, your resonance to those around you. You WILL see a difference, I guarantee it. Try it. What have you got to lose? Feeling better about yourself? Happiness? Joy? Loving kindness for yourself and others? Believe me, it's worth it. And it's something you can do that is subtle. People will start to see something different about you, but you won't have to make a huge announcement that you are going on a life changing mission and worry about alienating everyone you know. But if they are your friends, your family, and they love you, they should be happy for you anyway.

Try it and let me know how things go. I want to hear from you. Our lives are a miracle. It's time we realized it and start treating ourselves and each other like the precious beings we are.

I wish you luck, and I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, and, above all, I wish you all the wonderfulness you deserve.

With humble Gratitude,

Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please don't be shy...I learn from you, too! Your opinion matters to me, but, please, no judgment or hateful words here.
Thanks!