Personal Note

My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From your thoughts, you can create greatness.

This is what I need to remind myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create. Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgemental, love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are love.



Thursday, April 25, 2013

New Weekly Forum--Sundays with Buddha

Hi there!

I hope this post finds you well.

 I have been having a little trouble staying motivated lately. I know we all go through this from time to time, but I've really been struggling. I have been "losing' myself a bit lately, it seems, and I want to get out of that rut. I just needed to find a way. I took some time off from writing and socializing just to be with my thoughts and feelings and, while it gave me a break to just be with myself, I realized I am not at my best when I am isolated and not sharing with others.

I find that if I am not practicing what I believe in on a daily basis, I falter and sort of  lose sight of what is important to me. Things like kindness, non-judgement, compassion, loving thoughts and feelings toward myself and others. It doesn't leave me completely, I don't think it ever really could, but I become less mindful of these attributes that are so very important to me to have and to share.

That's why I am so grateful to forums, web sites, books, and magazines that I can read and participate in to keep that part of me awakened. But, I realized that, when I write and share of myself, that is when I am at my strongest. I write every once in a while. I submit articles to blogs. But I need to really concentrate on my own blog, as well.

So, this is how I intend to do it.

A few weeks ago on a nice weekend out with my husband, Noah, I picked up this journal titled "The Sayings of Buddha." It has over 50 pages and 100 quotes from the Buddha sharing his great wisdom. One quote on each blank lined page for you to journal on. I haven't started writing in it yet; I was waiting for whatever I needed to do with this book to make itself known to me, as I knew it would. I was reading through the quotes one night at work and it did just that.

I realized that if I could read a quote and write about my feelings on what it meant to me just on the blank pages provided, I could have a lesson at least every week for almost two years, or twice a week for one year.

So, that's it. I will provide a lesson each week (maybe two) for at least a year on the teachings of the Buddha and what they mean to me and how I will adapt those lessons into my life. It will provide me with something that I must focus on, and to rely upon myself to be mindful, as I can think on each lesson through the week and post them each Sunday.

I picked Sunday because that is when we are likely to be most at peace and rest and have the time to sit down with some tea or a cup of coffee sometime throughout the day and share some "Sundays With Buddha."

My first post will be this Sunday, April 28th, a day before my son's 18th birthday; a day that changed my life for the better, forever.

I truly hope you will join me on my journey of contemplation of the words of the Buddha. In them, there are amazing lessons of peace and love. This does not mean you have to be any certain religion or not. You may wonder if I am Buddhist. I would reply that it is not in me to be religious or to practice one 'religion'. I prefer to study and practice spirituality and philosophy. If there is a philosophy that resonates with me, it could come from any religion or culture, but if it is what resonates with me, that is the philosophy that I would adopt for my life. This may not be for everyone. Religion has always been a 'touchy' subject in this world. I prefer unity in peace and love rather than separation through who's right or wrong. There are many teachings of Christ that I follow, as well. Everyone has something to learn from someone else.

I just think it's time to be open to learning from each other. And since Buddha was a teacher and I find his words to be a loving embrace, and for all of mankind to learn from, that is what I chose for my path to peace.

I am honored that you might join me,

Namaste,

Nanette

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nanette,

    I'm looking forward to following your "Sundays with Buddha" posts. The 'formula' you propose for using one quote per post and presenting your thoughts and reactions sounds wonderful. I am a serious fan of wisdom-type quotations of all kinds and I am very interested in learning about more of Buddha's quotes.
    I just read your post on Tiny Buddha and I enjoyed it very much. Your very thoughtful and 'conversational' style of writing is a great pleasure to read. I'm very glad I discovered your blog right before the debut of your new series! I also plan to visit some of your older blog posts in the hopes of finding some of the many other gems that I suspect are all over the place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, karmit_1!
      I so appreciate your comment and I am very excited that you will be joining me for Sundays With Buddha. I am also grateful you are interested in browsing further into the blog. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do writing it. When I go back to the beginning and read through it myself, I can see how I've changed since I started it almost two years ago.
      I am so very glad you are here and honored for you to be a part of my journey.
      Gratefully yours,
      Nanette

      Delete

I want to hear from you! Please don't be shy...I learn from you, too! Your opinion matters to me, but, please, no judgment or hateful words here.
Thanks!