Personal Note

My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From your thoughts, you can create greatness.

This is what I need to remind myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create. Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgemental, love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are love.



Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sundays With Buddha

 
 
Week 20
 
 
 
Let a man overcome anger by love.
 
                                           --Buddha
 
 
I'm sorry this post is a little late. I had a bit of an epiphany and decided to rewrite this week's post. Today is my husband, Noah's, 40th birthday, and I wanted to talk about him. He doesn't always get the recognition he deserves, and he definitely deserves it. If there ever was any representation of acceptance and forgiveness and love, he is it. I often take for granted the fact that he is the way he is because I've known him for so long (since I was 15 and he 17 and in art class in high school together). We started dating when my son was 18 months old and have been married since 2002 this October 26th. He is, undoubtedly, the best thing that has ever happened to Tyler and me.
 
This young man took on a ready-made family and never looked back. He worked two jobs at times while I was in college and raised our son. I have never been judged by him or called names, not even once, and, boy, I know I deserved it quite a lot, sometimes.
 
I often catch myself just thinking of how good he is; better than me at his resolve and non-judgment, though he is even investing in improving that, too. Now, I’m not making him out to be a saint, here, he has his faults, too. Nothing worth mentioning, though. He helps clean the house, washes and folds laundry, washes dishes, waters the flowers, loves flea-markets, loves our pets, and loves me. (He also loves muscle cars, engines, rock-a-billie, punk-rock and heavy metal with a side of classical, neo-classical…the list goes on. He’s no softie, is what I’m trying to say.) He is a true partner.
 
 He tries his very best, so there isn’t much that I would ever get up in arms about. When I did in the past, it took all of the work I’ve done on myself these last few years to realize that most of my upset was unwarranted and based in my own insecurities. I am so grateful that I have gone through all of the processes that I have to change myself and my outlook on what is important and what to let go of.
Noah has an inherent peace and calm that I have had to work so hard for. He’s working on things, too, but he has a natural, kind spirit. He is the perfect representation of overcoming anger by love. He is a natural loving being and anger is not his way. He has learned as he has gotten older to assess a situation before reacting to it. He may have gotten some of that from listening to me talk about how wonderful I feel now that I’ve learned this and that from this great author and that great teacher, but Noah has never really read any book that I own. I talk about what I’ve read. He’s interested in learning what I’ve learned. But, for the most part, it's all him.
My biggest realization was that he has been my greatest teacher, all along. He is my best friend, ally and partner. I have never known a better man. I am grateful that he is our son’s father, because I know why Noah is the way he is. And I can rest assured that because of him, Tyler will be a great man, too. People are born who they are; they either realize it and live it, or don’t, and they are also often products of their environment. Noah was raised by two wonderful people who loved each other dearly for over 50 years. He was raised by a kind, gentle, calm, loving soul with all of those attributes surrounding him within his family. I have them to thank for Noah. And God.
It’s Noah’s birthday today, but I got the gift.
 
Thank you for sharing in this special post today. Have a great Sunday.
 
Namaste,
Nanette
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Please don't be shy...I learn from you, too! Your opinion matters to me, but, please, no judgment or hateful words here.
Thanks!